Friday, November 30, 2007

Expect the Unexpected

Somehow I have become quite detached from the technology around me and thought of my great constantly same idea; evenings spend at Miga Beach, enjoy the view while doing work will be much better. Honestly, my mind was not at work, I want to just lay down at the end of jetty/Dermaga and just stone, stretch my feet letting it hit the water underneath, let those drizzles hit my face, smell the fresh air and enjoy the view of the horizon while waiting for the sun to set. I love this bad habit yet my great simple idea of perfect day and so today I happen to get the most unexpected thing.
When they say in Indonesia, the line “expect the unexpected” has many connotations to it. The downside would be how we should not expect the best of service, punctuality for a meeting from its people and other bizarre things that could happen along the way that would caught you offguard and hence made you upset with how things are done around here. Nonetheless, those lines, for the very first time, made me love the things in life that go unplan and go unexpected that you will end your day smiling for the most fun you had.
The ex deputy mayor of Nias, owner of the Miga Beach, Pak Agus Mahdrefa brought us on his speedboat out into the ocean. The first time I meet Pak Agus, it was to schedule an interview on how he handled the tsunami&earthquake that hit Nias during his time as deputy mayor. I came back home and happily told Dian that my highlight of the week was how the ex deputy joked around and gave me a “High Five”. In which mind does these high post government people know how to High Five. So the next meeting was the actual interview that lets me get more insight to his personality, vision, hopes for Nias. The perks of journalism would be all the free delicious meals from the hotel. It was more of chatting rather than an interview which made my work much more easier and at least I don’t feel tense or fear of asking a wrong question.

But hey, when I was walking out from the toilet, he walked towards me and Dian and said “Nona Ferina” and while walking towards the jetty because we want to have our ice cream there, he brought a friend along, Pak Felix. Coincidentally, we already knew Pak Felix during the surfing interview at Beach Sorake. Small world.
Soon after, we thought Pak Agus was just joking(he jokes too much that you will not know when he is serious), when he say he will bring us out on the speedboat around. Shortly after we saw men carrying the speedboat out of the storeroom and fetch us at the jetty. Damn. Expect the unexpected and it just gets better.
Yes, I was on the speedboat going around the ocean on one nice unexpected evening, one memorable day.
You think buying fish from NTUC, Cold Storage all are fresh? Think again.. This is what I call FRESH!
We actually head to the ocean, bought fish, before that choosing from different 'stalls' (different fisherman) for the catch they had. And straight away after we barbeque those for dinner at the pondok. Awesome.

See! I bought Fish!!!!!!!!! Any Fresher, FISH IT YOURSELF!
Fish are not Friends, they are food.
Sorry Nemo&Friends, i didn't heed your advice.


There, the small pondok in the middle of the Ocean where we had our dinner. After the sunset, we had dinner and shortly after, the speedboat came again.


The view around. This is at LahuMaru, one of the nicest place to pass when you are in your vehicle, the water changes color and the sunnier the day is, the nicer the place to sit down and star at the natural painting from mother nature.

Many have asked me to learn or take driving license back in Singapore but I figured, being my lazy and pampered self, I want the person who wants to marry me drive me around. But guess what? I didn’t start taking the opportunity to learn how to drive in Nias but instead I learn how to steer a Speedboat.
Ahh baguslah tu.. Who knows I’ll ride the speedboat back to Singapore and please someone fetch me at Harbour Front. Hehe..

I felt the most free on the speedboat. I was singing, jumping, screaming, admiring the whole view and really enjoying the moment. At times Pak Agus will insert some remarks saying how I am behaving like a small child getting all excited over candy. Damn, this is way better than candy kids, better than jelly beans and peanut butter (which is 2 sinful food I really missed, they have none of that in Nias). I guess the whole time, it felt so good, so free, so relaxed and you bet I feel so happy that I forget that the person on the speedboat is the ex deputy mayor of Nias.

The thing about being the most Free, you don’t need to pay a single cent.
It’s Free. *corny*
Okok, I better stop now.

No comments: