Friday, November 9, 2007

You can't get this in Singapore

A week back, we made a date to follow Doctor Dewi(Doan's girlfriend) team from Yayasan Ibu in Nias. Every end of the month, we go to remote villages and give inoculation, health programmes to the children there. So we set the day, hoping for the best and expecting for the worst..

Ready at 7.30am, where the weather was just freezing cold, we waited at Amanuru house for their truck to come and fetch us, Dian was riding with Efo, me with budi because we didn't want to hire "ojek"(motorbike transportation) as we have to travel into the forest and no big vehicle can pass through. For straight almost 2 hours, we ride to south of Nias and reach the house where they park the truck and 7 other motorbikes waiting for us to start the 'journey'.
Thats Dewi. Dian went to the second school, while I stayed at the first school, which condition of the place was more worse. Can you imagine, Primary one to primary six all in one class which is no bigger than the average HDB flat living room. kids with no slippers, and broken glass and razor blade on the floor, dirty torn clothes etc. Its really sad and this are times where I wish life was more fair, economy of a place are more balanced around the world.

When I say the roads are bad, i really mean it. After the 2 hours ride from home to the place, we thought we've reach, but nope. We had to go through this forest, which roads are either just muddy, slippery or rocky or have plants branches hitting your face and scarring your legs! Urgh. Like they said to me, "banyak oleh2 yang kamu bawa pulang ya fei!" (alot of souvenirs you are brought home ah?) It was about half hour journey in, and we thought we've reached, and nope again. I thought there was a cliff and we had to turned back, I was disappointed and tired, but nope again, we had to bring down the bike and walk through the river to get to the place. I'm sorry girls, though there was 4 men bathing, half naked at the sungai, I didn't do any eye-washing ya. If you want to be kissed by males who constantly chew on betelnut(sireh),making their teeth all red or orangey, by all means I'll take their contact for you. haha!
1 motorbike = 4 men, carry it through one by one.
Total number of motorbikes = 9.. sigh...
The water was freezing and this place used to be normal land but due to the earthquake, part of the land sink and became unlevelled. hmm... talking about experience ehhhh :P
Once we reach on the other side, we thought the school is just nearby but nope again!
We had to be in the forest, out at the beach, in the forest again, out at the beach again for 3 different times, then we reach the school. Sigh. i really got no comments for that.

There.. The one with the helmet is Efo. He's one of our colleague. It was funny how he and buddy, both true niasan, complaining about how this journey is. And everytime I look at this picture, I got reminded of how dreadful and hungry efo was since very beginning of having to follow us on this trip. Efo kept saying "Aduh, acara apa aja sih kalian. Cobaan apa yang kalian beri pada kami. Lain kali buat acara yang senang aja la jalanya." Efo is really funny, no I think he just talks funny. One day he tested this water jet to wash huge vehicle and he pretends to be police holding a gun asking you to raise your hands in the air. Lol!

Okay this is not my date out while at work ah. It is budi. Somehow I thought its just a pretty picture and this is my blog, so I put whatever picture I want. Haha! halfway through in the forest, budi needed to pee. And we were the last motorbike. And I really freaking out cause he was taking quite long, what if theres snake, frogs etc, I am all alone with the motorbike. Then comes Budi, screaming from behind "Maling, maling!"to scare me and I thought it was not funny at all. But i'm telling you, budi is really good la, i see other "ojek" asking their pillion to get down when the road is too muddy and slippery and walk time and time again but most of the time, i didnt get my feet muddy or whatever. Thank god for Budi.

We came back in the heavy rain, it was damn bloody cold. With Efo complaining that the "bensin" (petrol) for his motorbike is running low and we have to refill it and then he say his own "bensin" (stomach) also need to be filled or else we take the "beca" (trishaw) home.
So yes, thats a really great experience to Balowato.
We got the worst and hopes the best for the kids in the near future.
Insyallah.

A few days later, we had barbecue during the weekend. The people in the community came and all of us had a nice time barbecueing, eating and chit chatting. These are the workers in the farm, you will be amazed at how they do work non-stop, barefooted,eating only cucumber during breaktime and most of the time making alot of noise while working but nonetheless they are really nice bunch of friends I've made.

Eat Eat Eat!
One kid that is really my favourite is joses. Everytime I say "Hello Joses", he will smile with his blacken top front teeth and say "Hello Ferina". He is the kind of boy who runs around the farm, helping the father carry sand, stones or whatever they bring from the huge yellow truck. Really cute!

I promised the kids that after the barbecue, we will do some painting and drawing from the seashells we collected and then play sparklers. They are all such a doll la. I do get lonely sometimes honestly because Dian got herself a boyfriend in Nias, so yes, I also got boyfriends I spend alot of time with everynight after work, just that they are at least 10 years younger than me. Hehe..

Here is the amanuru's(owner of the land our company bought from) family. The wife is the lady beside me, his mother(grandma)and his sister (in black sweatshirt). They are considered family now to me. Every night is just hanging out at their place and relaxing there. But hey, I still love the family in Singapore and I really miss you guys, keep the smses, emails and calls coming ya. I miss you all and take care, god bless.

I will let you guys know my trip to the traditional market. its interesting but im running out of time now.
once again, I'm doing just fine here :)

No comments: