Once we reach Medan, we had to wait for 4 hours for our domestic flight which many of us are excited to see how small it is. In any foreign land, somehow I think Singaporeans just stand out like a sore thumb. People just seem to know that you are Singaporeans . And the most fun part to share is the domestic plane, carrying about 20 passengers(all 20 of us who has never seen such old-school plane),I was seating right next to the aircraft propeller and when it start, i wonder if the small plane will be able to carry us all. I love the scenery up there, it looks like there is a little heaven on its own, clouds that looks so fluffed up and snowy land till one guy spoilt that moment and said “The Simpsons” with the twang. HAH! Container rooms that is earthquake proof, its good enough for me. Every experience involve risks, so deal with it.
[photographed by: Airell Ang]
Every morning(if I wake up early enough which most of the time, not!), you will see farmers working and contractors coming to work finishing up the place for the official opening of the centre. The place is still under construction and it was all muddy. So I had a little shock and I ain’t joking to say if you walk and little frogs jump, worms moving and all mud all over your boots. Its raining season too so the roads cannot be fixed and it is just muddy floors where we walk. The bumpy road to different parts of Nias got myself a few bruises on the arm but the sights and things I see throughout that long drive was just priceless and I question if life could be more fair. Singapore could have better beach, people could have better sheltered homes and sanitation in Nias. Keyword: Could.
Oh my, this I can tell you that mosquitos are everywhere, flies, dragonflies, whatever insect, its here. Sometimes, our rooms, even with my lavender air purifier(gawd, got air purifier, haiyoh!) there will still be mosquitos in but fret not, there is my “Mak Nyah”, Dian Chantek who kills things with so much excitement and ‘passion’. I remember one hot morning we toured the whole farm, and we came back having like an itch fest in the room. Goodness. That reminds me how everyone was killing mosquitos on each other shouting “double kill”, “gotcha”, “Errrggh” which I find it quite amusing. And they say to not wear black shirts & Ariel said to an Indian muslim boy “Do not go near Siraj” which I thought it was hilarious.
[Photographed by: Jabez]
Sunrise and Sunset became an addiction.
These are traditional houses of Nias, when I went to visit and saw the interior.. I was amazed that it was build like 500 years ago. And it won't 'crumble' when earthquake strikes due to some spiritual key thats put in such a way in the house. There is no nails used to build this house by the way.
This was how houses at the warrior place in Teluk Dalam looks like. It was also a place for men who wants to be hero, must jump this approx. 2m high rock or do that to show his manhood before marrying a woman. Okay, i know you guys must be thinking if there is still father's day for him if he actually failed it.Hah!
This is the wakil bupati(deputy mayor of Nias)Nice of the mayor to send a bus to fetch us from our stay area. ‘Bus Pemerintah Kabupaten Nias”
To me, not only it was teamwork at its best, it was the simple joy of combating a problem. :)
Well, in any part of Indonesia,always expect the unexpected, paul ramani hand sign of “FIVE” reminding me what five months will be of expecting the unexpected and probably more heart attacks coming our ways, be it good times or bad times.
Also we ride up to Laverna(the view up there is splendid)..its a place where Suster Clara made rooms for people who is ill but no income to go to the doctor or seek other medical treatment. We met this hydrocephulus baby, Noverlina,2 year old and when u sing "satu dua tiga", she starts clapping happily and her the baby face expression is just full of joy and was all smiles. And here I am feeling so sad for the baby diagnosed with that illness and how humble and noble person suster clara is. I respect people who cares about whoever surrounds them and reach out to people who needs help. And see the kid sitting on the bed, while going down the stairs, Suster Clara called out "ferina.. ferina.." and I was wondering why she walking in front of me and calling my name. Well, actually she was calling for the little girl who was hiding her face behind the walls. She has the same name as me. Poor girl, her left eye has a tumour growth and now she is waiting for donors and people to fund her treatment. Sigh, why must it be so emotionally challenging everytime i go everywhere?
This is the first picture i took once I step foot on Nias. They are so-called our 'neighbours' cause their house is just opposite the farm and this two siblings are always running around naked and playing in the longkang or mud whenever it rains..They always look so happy and carefree. Well eventually, they are what they are..KIDS!

This is Nur Asli. She the eldest daughter of our neighbour Najinur.
At times when the generator(yes our place are running on generators) are down or turned off because everyday they cool the generator for 2-4 hrs to prevent it from overheating, and so I will walk to their house and spend time with the kids. Chit chat, teach them a little english in exchange of Niasen language. She has other siblings like Hendri(6 yrs old always following NurAsli around with Endang),Joses (4 yrs old boy who always help the dad at the construction site), Sherly(3 yrs old but ever so shy) and Esther(this cute little baby) What I like about Nur Asli is how smart she is and how polite. She saw me walking to the beach and said to becareful while walking at the roads and ask if I need her to follow so it'll be safe.
This is Endang. The girl with earrings of alphabet "E" on both ears and with no more top front baby tooth. She is NurAsli cousin and they go everywhere together. I let them use my laptop to play pacman and now whenever they come over to our stay area, I know one look in their eyes that they are too shy to ask me for the pacman game but they badly want to play it. They are smart kids,curious kids,polite and always so thankful.
This is part of GunungSitoli. To put it simply, it is so-called like our Orchard Road where people shop and do business here. Its about 20 minutes from our stay area and its where mainly muslims stay there and that explains the numerous mosques around the area. And of course, it is the place where we love our ES CAMPUR which is way nicer that ICE KACHANG.
Oh, meet Doan Sianturi. He is one of the facilitators, my colleague at the farm. Interesting person to talk to and someone who translates very well. So,on the day it was raining heavily while we are on the way to explore Gunungsitoli, he decided to shelter at his girlfriend's place which beside it is a lobster catching place. Last time in Nias, lobster cos only 500 rupiahs, the bigger it is.. the more people do not want it. Now, the bigger it is, the more expensive. Oh, you people in Medan are spending too much money on Lobsters where you can throw a net at the sea behind the girlfriend's home and get a handful in just a few minutes.
Oh, Truck rides are fun whenever we go swimming or snorkelling at the beach because when you are all drenched, just sit and by the time you reach home, you are almost dry.
This was on Cultural Night.Febri(center), another colleague, who also coach me in Bahasa Indonesia is one bubbly and fun girl. I love talking and exchanging views with her. She is one lady with so much vision for her country and for that,I will always second whatever she does. Oh, It was full moon festival too on that day. When I woke up the next morning and went to the toilet to brush my teeth.. I look up and still see a full moon right infront of my eyes. look at the watch and it was 8am?! Ok I digress, sorry.. So, I host with Dian the cultural night. Dian host everything in english while I host it in Bahasa Indonesia which was a challenge but it got positive response, so I'm all smiles:)
[Photographed by: Airell Ang]School Kids on the way home
We park our bikes at the side and was curious what the crowd was looking at.
Beach Sorake was one of the beach that was hit by the tsunami but the waves there makes Singapore waves look really bad. So skimmers at east coast park, please, get a life.Well, I hope thats enough of an update for you guys yaa.. Currently I am in Singapore for the Hari Raya break and will be back possibly end of next week.. So don't abandon me by not emailing and keep contact with me through emails ya? I am doing just fine there and I would always love to share the experience there. Well I got alot Tanned(yikes), lost weight?(don't think so), bruises and cuts from falling off the bike(yes!).But hey, i am supergirl and its no big deal for me..(right..)Some articles are done but lets just keep the stories untold till the book is out aight? Take care everyone :)

No comments:
Post a Comment